Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Trunk, A Trunk, Of Heavy Metal???

It's Monday Metal Madness! The challenge at Simon Says Stamp & Show this week is "Metal-ology"! Woohoo! From foil to tin buttons, silver paint to gold leafing pens, metal brads to gold copper glitter, or anything in between...this week the challenge is to incorporate some metal into your project!
 
This challenge was one I was thrilled about, but I wanted to do something I've never done to really make it a challenge for me. I knew I wanted to alter something, but didn't know what  until I found some inspiration, which just happens to be right in front of my feet every time I sit in 'my rocking chair'! It's my husband's late grandfather's trunk, which we use as our coffee table, and it also houses all of our games. It has seen many places, and I'm sure could tell many stories. It's made of metal and is cedar lined...it smells fabulous! It's priceless to me, as he was, and though it has had a few repair jobs in it's time and is due another soon, I will never part with it until it's time to go.
My Coffee Table
I purchased a super inexpensive paper mache box, and used Ranger's Adirondack Paint Dabber in Pitch Black to paint the edges, corners, and thin panels of the box, in and out.
Using Ranger's Metal Foil Sheets and Alcohol Ink, I tamped Watermelon and Red Pepper on. I let it dry.
I crumbled the metal foil up, and then ran the Pitch Black Dabber over it to highlight the wrinkles. I let it dry, and cut it to size to fit the trunk. I removed the backing and stuck in onto the trunk.
Using Rust and Pitch Black Alcohol Ink, I tried to give a very aged and distressed look to many of Tim's Idea-ology metal pieces and some latches I salvaged from on old broken box.. YUMMO!!! I thoroughly enjoyed this!
I die cut a few scrap pieces of Grunge Paper with  Tim's Sizzix Movers & Shapers Mini Styled Labels. I painted them with Pitch Black, distressed the edges, and used these to back the keyhole and latches.
Using the left over Metal Foil Sheet, I adhered it to Wendy's Clearly For Art Blackout. I die cut this using the Tattered Florals die, but only the medium six petal flower and the mini flower. I cut several, to make roses that Wendy taught me how to make.
It take two of the medium 6 petal flowers to make a rose. I cut one petal from one, and two from the other (Looks like a heart.). I also did the same with the mini flowers to use as filler pieces.
 I used heat from a heat tool to shape the flowers. I worked from underneath, and when the CFA became soft I pulled the petals together to form a flower shape. There is no need for glue yet, as CFA stays put once cooled. I made sure to curl the petals over when they were hot. I did the same thing with the one that two were cut off from. I snipped the bottoms to make a flat base and allow for a small hole. Then I shaped the 2 petal (Looks like a heart.) in half and curled the petals, and set these aside. I curled the single petal into a tube shape.
Using Glossy Accents, I stacked the tube shape single petal  into the 4 petal and that into the 5 petal. I snipped the tube petal on the bottom to match the other two. The rose was left to dry over night.
I stained pieces of Idea-ology Kraft Resist (With the definition of precious and treasure trove on them.) with Aged Mahogany and Barn Door Distress Stain. I cut them to fit the Ornate Frames, added some Chit Chat words, a wooden heart (Thanks Linda!), and filled them with Glossy Accents. I added these to the top of the trunk with a cameo from my collection, and adhered the metal roses.
I used more Idea-ology Kraft Paper and added Crowded Attic Papers which I colored with the same Stains and a little Weathered Wood as well. I gave them all a fine mist of Biscotti Perfect Pearls. I cut them to size to fit the inside of the box, inked the edges with Black Soot Distress Ink, and adhered them in place.
 
This will now house a booty of Creative Treasure...my ATC trades from so many of you from around the world!
Are you into metal madness like I am? Do you use a little here and there on most of your projects? If so, create your work of Art and enter it into our challenge. You just might be the lucky winner of a $50 voucher to Simon Says Stamp. You can also be named as one of the "Top Three Picks" for this challenge. Good luck, and please visit the other DT member's blogs to check out their METALiculous projects from this week. You won't be disappointed!

 

Supplies:


I hope your hands get creatively dirty soon!



54 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's absolutely stunning! Colors are fantastic, details are fantastic.... I have no words! BARbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita! This is breathtakingly stunning!!! Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy moly, this is crazy incredible, Anita! I am literally picking my jaw up off the floor. What an absolutely stunning piece of work. What a fun piece to have in your craft room for storage. Thanks for sharing all the amazing details!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing altered piece Anita. Just love the crumpled painted foil effects.
    Hugs Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only amazing but also breathtaking such a oustanding creation ! WOW!!!
    XOXO
    SanDee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow, and wow again!! This is one amazing piece! I am gob-smacked! Incredible make!!! It is stunning and I LOVE it. The crumpled metal gives it such a cool effect and I love the warm colours you have used! Thanks also for the very clear tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!!! That's gorgeous!!! I love the foil flowers & all the metal embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh WOW with a capital W! When I first started reading, I thought, "oh no, she hasn't really altered grandfather's trunk??" which just goes to show how fantastic your project is, it really does look like an old trunk. So glad it's a papier mache one lol! I absolutely love every detail. I've never tried "Clearly for Art", but am definitely going to have to get some now that I've seen what you can do with it. Love the flowers!!! Thanks for all the details and also for the sweet comment you left on my blog. Have a great week. Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantatstic altered chest! The details you added are really wow! Love the flowers and the alcohol inks on the foil! Brilliant details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miss Attention To Detail nails another one! Your chest is fabulous, Anita. Ummm...does that sound a bit risque?! Not YOUR chest, but your ALTERED chest! We did GrungeBoard flowers similar to your metal foil ones in a Tim class ages and ages and ages ago and I had forgotten about that technique. Never thought about doing it with the metal foil!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Morning Anita. I thought I was seeing things, your box is Magnificent and all the work you have put into it must make you feel very proud. Your tutorial is brilliant and I'm sure it is one I will go back too again and again. Have a Great Day. Hugs Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I've never seen so the beautiful box. Beautiful decorations fabulous all metal elements. I love it :) Captivated me the most metal flowers that you do is stunning. The colors and the whole box is wonderful and breathtaking. I can not tear my eyes from it is fantastic. So great idea with wheels I love it.
    Greetings Asia :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so fabulous. I love the aged, wrinkled effect you were able to achieve here....I'm just gobsmacked at how many amazing details you built in. I love the pulley wheels, of course, but my favorite element might just be the ornate frames. They look like treasures set in amber...really lovely. This is really a legacy piece, Anita...WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG!! This is gorgeous!!! Anita, you've done it again with another amazing source of inspiration!! Awesome transformation!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HOLY COW! Your metal trunk is AMAZING!!! When I saw the title of your blog post I immediately thought of our tour through Hollywood and seeing those heavy metal homes (and Gene Simmons! Such awesome memories. But seriously... that trunk is just ROCKIN' COOL!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not into metal madness but still admire the work of those who are. This is outstanding, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Incredible work of art Anita! I love the flowers you created and the rich color you achieved~

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fabulous Anita!! I love the metal look. You are always such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks to me like you have created the next family heirloom! This is so imaginative and beautiful, you outdid yourself. Wonderful tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic make Anita! Love the aged affects and attention to detail. What a wonderful piece to store your ATCs. You are such an inspiration. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic home decor creation, Anita! All of the details are incredible and so unique! Love this altered trunk! Have a great Monday! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Anita. You never cease to amaze me. I love the use of the family truck for a coffee table, how special! Your altered box for your ATC's is awesome. Is the trim ball chain or individual brads (fasteners?) I have never altered anything and watching you makes me want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great inspiration piece! Your treasure chest is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Anita, I am not sure I can add much else to the above comments! Stunning does not seem enough for this wonderful piece of altered art. Love the crumpled metal look, the flowers are gorgeous, but for me, those pulley feet really do it, been wondering what I could do with my set and I think I now know! Fabulous piece. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anita...this is fabulous! Love all of the metal! Love all of the techniques! Love your always crazy creative art!! Hugs, Candy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh La La ... what a beauty Anita. Loving all the techniques used to create such an amazing piece of art. x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Anita, you would never know this was a paper mache box, what a transformation. I love the pop of colour against the metal. That ornate piece in the centre is stunning. I love how you have decorated the inside too. A beautiful transformation. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Magnificent piece of Altered Art my friend. This is so beautiful and very inspiring. Wonderful keepsake piece to house your treasured makes

    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  29. FABULICIOUS Anita! Brilliant piece - love all its wonderful decorative elements. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow - wow - wow
    It´s so fantastic - I have no words!

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh my foofing lalabubberchops.... this is... AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you ever needs a home come and live with me... I have a tonne of those papiermache thingy's and you can alter them to your hearts content... miss ya babes xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. well my dear I think you out did yourself here. It is fabulous and as the big brother trunk as your coffee table. Girl you just outdo yourself constantly. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning treasure box, Anita! I really love the colors you added and the flowers are gorgeous :)


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, but just have to add my own WOW. This is really impressive....I can't believe how many brads you used.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This box is beyond stunning with all your beautiful detail! Especially the top of the box. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your art and the way you have grown. stunning magnificent..bravo Anita.
    susan s

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow! This is totally amazing! Absolutely love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm missing words - it's outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fan-Bloody Tastic. You never cease to amaze.

    ReplyDelete
  40. You are a wild woman! This altered trunk is so fantastic, it's crazy! I love the wrinkly metal with the alcohol ink and black over top. It looks ancient and luxurious. The flowers, the wheels, every little detail is so cool. Well done, Anita. You rocked this!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, wow, WOW - what an absolute stop-you-in-your-tracks stunner... this is so amazing Anita!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  42. That trunk is great... good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Let me pick my jaw up from the floor....Breathtaking piece..Fabulous creation Anita... Love it all.... Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anita this is just BRILLIANT! You've made a real heirloom piece here, totally gorgeous love the colours and embellies , x

    ReplyDelete
  45. Ohh my, this is one stunning piece! Love that it's inspired by your hubby's late grandfathers trunk! It has so many details! I love it and what a great way to store your ATC trades. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  46. AWESOME!! I adore everything about this Anita! The colours are perfect, the embellishments work so well and the wheels are genius. Bet no one has ATC housing quite so glamorous as this. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is absolutely beautiful!!!!!! Thanks for the step-by-step tutorial!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Kalamachine tools offer a wide range of sheet metal components like, Automotive sheet metal components, Sheet metal pressed components, Stamped sheet metal auto parts, High tonnage sheet metal components, Automotive sheet metal assembly for the automobile and industrial applications.


    For more details visit us:
    http://www.kalamachinetools.com/

    ReplyDelete
  49. Holy Mackerel! I cannot get over this jaw-dropping creation of yours.... Anita.... this is outstanding! I love everything about it. The way you colored the metal sheets and aged everything so beautifully... oh my stars! You rocked this one to the moon. Off to pin...

    ReplyDelete
  50. WOWSERS!!!!! What a fabulous creation!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love your treasure chest, this is so fab!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for viewing my blog and commenting on it! It truly means so much to me.